When remodeling your kitchen, you have lots of decisions to make, from cabinetry colors to hardware styles, but one of the biggest decisions you may face is whether or not to install an island in your kitchen. There are both advantages and disadvantages to choosing a kitchen island, which are further explained below.
The Pros of Kitchen Islands
Kitchen islands are a popular option to enhance and utilize the space in a home. If your kitchen has the space for an island, there can be many benefits to installing one. The advantages of kitchen islands include:
- Add room for preparation – take advantage of extra counterspace to allow for use of countertop appliances, groceries, and more.
- Make room for seating – add bar stools along a kitchen island for additional seats, and socialize with others while meal prep happens.
- Create a multi-purpose surface – create a great place for accomplishing homework, reading the paper in the morning, and accomplishing other tasks in the heart of your home.
- Allow for extra storage – islands are great opportunities to add extra cabinets and storage options customized to meet your needs.
- Increase home value – many homebuyers look for homes with islands and they often show a good return on investment in the sales process.
The Cons of Kitchen Islands
If you’re tight on kitchen space as is, it’s possible that installing an island in your kitchen might only make your space more difficult to navigate. There are some disadvantages to kitchen islands, including:
- Limits space – adding an island takes up quite a bit of floor space that could be utilized in many different ways.
- Disrupts traffic flow – gone is the flexibility of an open kitchen; instead, a kitchen island can complicate navigation patterns in your home.
- Adds to remodeling costs – kitchen islands are custom-built with cabinetry and countertops, so they do add to the cost of a remodeling project.
Start on Your Kitchen Remodel Today
Still unsure if an island is right for you? Jordan Design-Build Group has extensive experience designing kitchens of all sizes. Contact us online or call (571) 409-1633 today to learn more about our kitchen remodeling services in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and the DC area.
This blog post was inspired by an article on Houzz called The Pros and Cons of Kitchen Islands, which featured a photo of our North Edgewood Street kitchen remodel.